The purpose of Downhill From Here is to shine a spotlight on the uniquely amazing sport of freeskiing. Downhill From Here is for veterans and newbies alike! I hope to give newcomers insight into all of the inner workings, terminology, and history of the sport. Downhill From Here will act as a sort of Freeskiing 101 to those wanting to get informed. And for those already well acquainted with freeskiing Downhill From Here will strive to keep you informed on everything happening in the freeskiing world. Providing readers with a fresh, new perspective on competitions, edits, gear, athletes, and more. Most importantly, this blog will act to share my love for freeskiing and hopefully impart some of that love onto you, the readers.
Tom Wallisch and Nick Martini are unstoppable! Their edit promoting their new films Good Company 1 and 2 is currently making its rounds around the ski community and it is astonishing. Have a look at it for yourself below and make sure to check out Good Company 1 and 2 on iTunes now!
I’m starting to feel as though the days are growing longer due to my anticipation, because the countdown to Aspen has begun! The Winter X Games are quickly approaching! We’re 1 month away! 31 days! I can feel the anticipation rising.
Make sure to get all your ducks in a row and don’t forget to finalize your schedules so you don’t miss out on a single thing! I suggest checking out the 2016 Invited Athletes list to see if and when your favorite athlete will be competing this January! This year’s X Games Music is sure to be unforgettable with performances from Nas/Run The Jewels, DJ Snake, deadmau5, Twenty One Pilots, and Kygo!
If you can’t make it out to Aspen not to worry, there is plenty going down on ESPN, Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook, and Instagram to keep you right in the action all weekend.
In person or from your couch this is one event you don’t want to miss!
In a sport that’s still relatively young, such as freeskiing, social media can be crucial in its rise to the mainstream. Make it to instagram’s discover page and you could gain thousands of new fans. The best of these young athletes know how to work this new marketing tool to their advantage and do so in an amazing fashion. So in this sparkly new social media age who is worthy of that sacred follow? Here are five of my top picks:
- Jossi Wells: @jossiwells
- Gus Kenworthy: @guskenworthy
- Joss Christensen: @joss
- Tom Wallisch: @twallisch
- Nick Martini: @nickmartini
With ski season getting in to full effect I can’t help but get excited for my all time favorite weekend: Winter X Games Aspen. This season during the weekend of January 28-31 Aspen will fill up with winter sports enthusiasts. The sponsor houses will be crawling with athletes and musical guests and every night there will be a new party to attend. It is a complete whirlwind and extremely exhausting, but worth every minute. Since we’re only a month out I decided it was time I wrote down just a few brief tips for a newcomer to X Games Aspen.
- Get there early…or get a pass!
- Aspen is absolutely insane during X Games. There are people everywhere and they’re all trying to see the exact same thing as you! We get it, you love Bobby Brown with all your heart. Well, so does every other girl packed in like sardines in the freezing cold. If you really want to get a good view I suggest you get to the big events plenty early. You’re going to be out in the elements for quite a while so make sure you bundle up and bring plenty of hand warmers! Another way to ensure you get a great view of all the action is to acquire a guest or media pass. This will get you right up to the front of the competition, but can be a little tricky to come by.
- Plan ahead!
- The Official X Games website offers a great in-person schedule that details all of the events(including musical acts) going on each day! This is a wonderful tool to help you plan out each day so that you see everything and everyone on your list! Make sure you’re also following your favorite athletes and brands on social media to keep up to date on their signings and events throughout the weekend.
- Take advantage of the deals!
- Aspen is not cheap my friends. BUT, during X Games there are many ways to make it affordable. First off, the event itself is free! That means you get free access to not only the competition but to the X Games festival villages and music performances as well. On top of that, many local spots offer deals during the weekend and the mountain itself offers special lift ticket pricing. Be on the lookout for a full guide on how to tackle Winter X on a college budget.
- Have fun!
- The most important tip I could ever give you. There is a reason the Winter X Games hold such a special place in my heart. I cannot think of a time where I have had more fun in just one weekend. This weekend in Aspen could be one of the greatest of your life if you let it!
This is the latest and greatest, the 2016 YLE. When I designed this ski with 4frnt I had in mind something that would handle higher speeds, bigger airs, yet be playful enough to shred the trees and spin around on local hips and lips. This is probably my favorite art I have had on the ski since it’s inception. See more here
If you could split your time evenly between two places, and two places only, which would these be?
Source: A Tale of Two Cities
The answer to this question actually comes quite easily to me as I have thought about it quite a bit. This is because I have two very distinct passions in my life. The first being freeskiing, the topic this blog is dedicated to, and the second being scuba diving. Luckily my two passions translate wonderfully into physical locations. On a large scale my love for freeskiing can be seen as a manifestation of my love for the mountains and my love for scuba diving as a love for the oceans. Now, I realize that those are two very large physical locations and not cities at all, but they make choosing my two cities extremely simple.
Ski films are a massive part of freeskiing. They give skiers a chance to show out, push boundaries, and have tons of fun in the process. Skiers team up with production companies and together they create something incredible. Every ski movie is different and everyone has a different favorite.
Personally, I find it very hard to pick just one. So here is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my favorites:
Mary’s Top 3 (in no particular order, because ranking them seemed near impossible):
Attack of La Niña from Matchstick Productions(MSP)
Attack of La Niña was released in 2011 following one of the deepest and most brutal winters North America has seen in recent memory. While it seems to be missing from many favorites lists it has an extremely special place on mine as the first ever freeskiing film I had ever seen. I had already been falling deeply in love with every aspect of the sport, but MSP’s beautiful film was the final piece solidifying my obsession. Attack of La Niña transitions from backcountry to park to urban and back again flawlessly offering something for everyone. Sean Petit, Mark Abma, Rory Bushfield, Alex Schlopy, Bobby Brown, Gus Kenworthy, and Colby James West (among many others) push their skiing to the limits and it is flawless. I will never forget the feeling I had after watching Attack of La Niña for the first time, and then the subsequent feeling I got watching it the next million times over and over again. Available on iTunes.
The Eighty Six from Stept Productions
Released in 2012, The Eighty Six showcases the insanity of urban skiing and “guerilla filmmaking.” Stept shows the reality of obstacles faced in this sport like run-ins with law enforcement, injuries, and parents. Clayton Villa’s session at the Denver Broncos stadium is fascinating and just one of the many facets that make this film a fan favorite. Sean Jordan, Cam Riley, Shea Flynn and many more lend their skiing to this masterpiece. Available on iTunes.
Sunny from Level 1
It is very rare that Level 1 releases anything that I don’t immediately fall in love with, but their 2013 film Sunny stand above the rest. After taking home numerous awards, including Best Editing titles from the Powder Awards, iF3, and Coldsmoke; Sunny became an instant classic. Everything about Sunny is a complete injection of happy and is near impossible not to love. Tom Wallisch, Wiley Miller, Tim McChesney and many others are featured in the mood-lifting hit. Available on iTunes.